"What are you?" is a question I have heard very frequently throughout my life.
What am I? What did they mean? This was an ignorant way of asking my ethnicity. When people would ask me this question, I started to question who I was. My mom tried her best but I don't think that she fully understood how to handle the feeling I had of not fitting in. I always felt insecure about me. I felt I had to suppress a part of me. Its funny but I felt like I always had to identify with being "black" instead of embracing both sides of me. I am only speaking for me but I think that all or most of mixed individuals feel those sort of feelings of misplacement.
As
always, I related to my all time favorite singer, Mariah Carey, to help
me deal with all the mixed emotions I was feeling. Also, its strange
but I felt so liberated to check the "other" box for the first time.
"Other" seems to hold as a simple word but much more to me? I am
different. I recognize that I am different. I want to choose who I
was. It is more than color but this is the first thing people judge you
on. In today's society, mixed individuals experience racism still. To combat this racism, I believe it begins with strong family support. Liberty will always know her combination of races. We will help her build a sense of pride. She will know that she has a right to feel beautiful. Good hair or bad hair? All hair is beautiful. All mixes are beautiful.

No comments:
Post a Comment